Monday, September 01, 2008

anti-labor day

Now before anybody gets riled up about me hating a national holiday, let me explain.

"I" am not anti-labor day. I just find it ironic that a holiday named "labor" day actually consists of most people being off work, and generally not "laboring." so in practice Labor Day is actually an anti-labor day.

So now for my "anti-labor day" story.

I graduated a few weeks ago (for more on that, click here). I moved into a new apartment with my best friend and another girl I know from school last week. Which means I am officially a degree holding, bill paying adult. I also got a dog.

All of this means that I should probably have a job about now.

It's not that I didn't look for a job. I did. I saw all sorts of openings for things that I probably could have gotten hired for based on my ridiculous customer service experience working 2 years as a cashier/head cashier/customer service/return desk at Lowe's. But they were all jobs that I looked at and thought about applying for with dread.

So after a conversation with a friend who just started his own printing business I decided that i didn't want to do something that would make me miserable just to pay the bills. I wanted to do something that would let me pursue my dreams of doing photography and other art stuff (design, painting, etc) for a living.

In light of that, I'm going to get a job as a hostess or a waitress at a restaurant (hopefully at the Melting Pot...mmmmm) to pay the bills and give me some flexibility in my hours so I can build my portfolio and take on some artistic projects.

I was going to go to the Melting Pot today to try and apply...but in honor of anti-labor day I decided to sit around, read blogs, and hang up pictures and organize my new room instead.

very anti-labor indeed. :-D


Tomorrow I shall find a job. Tomorrow I shall go and and get a membership at the YMCA. Tomorrow I shall labor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is a celebration of the work force. The day off (in most cases) is a reward for being a part of it.

You don't go out and crucify yourself on Good Friday, do you?

Or mistakenly discover (for simplicity's sake) land on Columbus Day?

Or give birth to saviors on Christmas?

They are celebrations, honored at least by recognition as national holidays. That doesn't mean their namesakes have to be practiced.

niaRfOdnoF said...

well to be fair, Good Friday isn't called "crucify yourself day", Christmas isn't "give birth to a savior" day, etc.

I just find it funny that "Labor day" is actually the day when we don't labor. I wouldn't have the same sort of mental laugh if it were called "Work Force Day."

I understand what these holidays are for, and respect them, it was really just a silly thing in my head to lay the background for a post about a decision I had made in my own search for a job.

Thanks for your thoughts!